Rumyancev square near the Academy of Arts on
A monument to field-marshal P.A. Rumyancev who became
famous for his victories on Dunay river during the Russian-Turkish war.
(He's got a prefix "Zadunayskiy" to his last name after this war).
The monument was created in 1799 by V. Brenna.
The inscription reads: "To Rumyancev's victories"
First it was placed on Marsovo field but in 1818 was
transferred here. In 1866-1868 the square was laid out around. First it
was called "Solovievsky" - after the merchant Soloviev who sponsored the
In 1939 the square with the garden was renamed after the Ukranian poet
T.G. Shevchenko who studied in the Academy of Arts in 1838-1845.