Albums about the White Nights had already become our annual tradition. Today we will pay tribute mostly to areas away from the city center, which are less frequented by visitors, particularly on this romantic time of year ;-)
Prachechny (Laundry) Bridge across the Fontanka River. (The historic name originated from the nearby Royal Laundry facility) On the right – the Summer Palace of Peter the Great in the Summer Gardens.
Petrovskaya (Peter’s) Embankment and a short stretch of the Troitsky (Trinity) Bridge
Chi Tza – Chinese “Half Lions – half frogs".
The stone statues were brought to St. Petersburg in 1907 from the city of Girin in Manchuria..
And here are other – more usual, less mystical – lions. But very many of them.
These lions are guarding the splendid former Bezborodko Mansion on the Sverdlovskaya Embankment.
A view up the Neva River along the curved stretch of Sverdlovskaya Embankment.
Bolsheokhtinsky Bridge (Literally translated as the “Grand Okhta Bridge” it was built in 1908-11 and connected the historic city center with the then fishermen’s and dairy farmers’ suburb called Okhta).
A 19th century textile mill on Sinopskaya Embankment on the opposite (left) bank of the Neva River.
Further up the Neva River – two factories on Sinopskaya Embankment: electronic equipment maker Izmeron wall to wall with the famous vodka-maker LIVIZ. As a student I had briefly worked at Izmeron. The factory was quite unfortunate to have a common wall with the vodka distillery. At that point in time, the proximity a seemingly endless source of vodka badly damaged Izmeron’s productivity figures. The problem was unsolvable even if they could make the wall three times higher. :-)
Finliandsky Railway Bridge across the Neva River (part of a railway link between Moscow and Helsinki, Finland).
Oktiabrskaya (October) Embankment.
At this section of the river some fishing fanatics are often seen fishing and even at this hour we can see a lonely fisherman.
(Mr. Volodarsky was a Bolshevik party’s propaganda chief, who was murdered in revolutionary Petrograd (St. Petersburg) in June 1918).
Upon crossing the bridge: The view of the Neva River through the wrought iron railings of Prospekt Obukhovskoy Oborony – on the left side of the river.