Wandering Camera

Album 188
(Translated by
Larissa Rogacheva)


Lets explore Pushkin's parks bit more.


The Orlov's (Gatchinskie) Gait.
The project of A. Rinaldy; built in 1778 in commemoration of the plague epidemic in Moscow.

The Orlov's Gait is situated on the edge of Catherine's Park at the beginning of the road to Gatchina (Gatchina use to be a country estate of count Gregory Orlov- Catherine's favorite and Moscow's governor, who was in charge of the straggle against the disease)
The inscription on the gait: " The Moscow saved from the black death by Orlov"
And on the other side: " In 1771 it was the black death and public unrest in Moscow. The general feldsmeister count G.Orlov volunteered and was sent to help. He restored the order, organized the provisions and hospitals and then the disaster receded…."

Originally it was built as a triumphal arch but in 1787 the iron grills by J.Qurengi were installed turning it into "proper "gait.

The Gothic Gait.
The gait is maid of cast iron (not wood as everyone thinks from the first impression).
Casting of the gait, which way about 25 tons was dun at Demidov's foundry in Ekatirinburg.

The Gait by Y.Felten was opened in 1778.

The plaque from the Chesmen Column (album233)

In the winter kids using it as a slide, so some bits are shinier then others…

The fountain "The Girl with the Jag" or "The Milk Maid"

The water here is the natural spring, so people are taking an advantage…

The bronze figure by the sculptor P. Sokolov was foundered and installed in 1810-1816 under the supervision of an engineer O. Betanqure.

The theme of this fountain came from the Lafontene's fable "The Milk Maid"

Two pretty girls…
From the water edge we see The Admiralty …
Two classical statues " Borgeze Wrestler" and "Discus-thrower" were placed on the "Big Granite Pier" in 1850.

The inscription on the base of one of them: "J.A.Hamburger 1853"

The architect L.Ruska built the "Granite" Pier in 1810.
"The Concert Hall " use to be cold "The Temple of Friendship" or "The Music Hall"
The view from other side of the hall.
The relives by sculptor M.Kozlovskiy,
the one on the right "Apollo playing the lyre for Cerera"
The Hall built by architect J. Quarengi in 1782-1788
The Hall is situated on the little island (next to the "Ruin" kitchen)




Share this page via:
Опубликовать ссылку на эту страницу в Facebook Опубликовать ссылку на эту страницу ВКонтакте Записать в LiveJournal