Wandering Camera

PUBLIC BUILDINGS 1703-1840.
(Translated b
y Andrei Frizyuk)

 

Right after the city's foundation, during the first third of the 18th century, the most significant buildings were executed in the 'Petrine baroque' style imported from Holland.

The Muscovite (or Elizabethan) baroque was popular during the 20 years of Elizabeth's reign.

Still later, during Catherine II's reign, Scottish architects introduced the Neoclassical trends into St.Petersburg architecture. The 19th-century High Neoclassicism was known under the name of the Empire style.

 

The Bourse

The edifice was erected in 1805-10 to house a stock exchange. Since 1939 it has been a home to the Central Naval Museum.

Architect: Thomas de Thomon
Style: Neo-Classicism

Website: http://www.museum.navy.ru 
Address: Birzhevaya Sq., 4
Nearest metro stations: Gorkovskaya, Vasileostrovskaya, Sportivnaya

Location:: map

General Staff Building

Apart from the General Staff, the building used to house the Foreign Office and the Ministry of Finance. After the revolution the right half of the building was assigned to the General Staff Academy, the left half - to the Hermitage museum. The whole complex was constructed in 1820-27 to a design by Carlo Rossi.

Style: Neo-Classicism

Address: Dvortsovaya Sq., 6, 8, 10
Nearest metro station: Gostinyi dvor
Location: 
map

The Kunstkammer

The Kunstkammer (dating back to 1718-34) housed the Imperial Academy of Sciences, libraries, observatories, and the first public museum in Russia. Today the building is shared by two museums: the Lomonosov Memorial Museum and the Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography.

Architects: G.J. Mattarnovi, Gaetano Chiaveri, Mikhail G. Zemtsov
Style: Petrine baroque

Website: http://www.kunstkamera.ru
Address: Universitetskaya Embankment, 3
Nearest metro station: Vasileostrovskaya
Location: 
map

The Academy of Arts

The edifice was built in 1764-88 to a design by Jean-Baptiste Vallin de la Mothe and Alexander F. Kokorinov. In front of the building is a quayside decorated with griffins and sphinxes.

Style: Early Neoclassicism

Address: Universitetskaya Embankment, 17
Nearest metro station: Vasileostrovskaya
Location: 
map

The Admiralty

The complex (constructed in 1806-23) consists of the building, the central tower crowned with a golden ship (used to be Leningrad's emblem), and two pavilions on each side.

The Admiralty tower is the focal point of three radiating thoroughfares: the Nevsky avenue, the Voznesensky avenue, and the Gorokhovaya street.

The complex has been occupied by the Dzerjinka Naval School since 1925.

Architect: Adrian D. Zakharov
Style: the Empire style

Address: Admiralteisky passage, 1
Nearest metro station: Gostinyi dvor
Location:
map


The Smolny Institute

The mansion by Giacomo Quarenghi originally housed "the Society for Education of Noble Maidens" - the first educational institution for Russian women. The Petrograd Soviet and the Central Executional Committee were transferred here in 1917. The Smolny has been especially notorious as the head-quarters of Bolshevik organizations which planned and commanded the October revolution.

Style: High Neo-classicism

Address: Smolny passage
Nearest metro station: Tchernyshevskaya
Location:
map

The Alexandrine Theatre

The theatre, built in 1828-32 by Carlo Rossi, was named after the wife of Nicholas I. It has been known as the Pushkin Academic Theatre of Drama in the years following the October revolution.

Style: Neo-Classicism

Address: Ostrovsky Sq., 2
Nearest metro station: Gostinyi dvor
Location:
map

The Senate and Synod buildings

Upon completion of the construction works in 1843, there used to sit supreme imperial institutions of secular and ecclesiastical power. After the revolution the building passed to the Central Historical Archives.

Architect: Carlo Rossi
Style: Neoclassicism

Address: Senatskaya Sq., 1, 3
Nearest metro stations: Sennaya, Gostinyi dvor
Location:
map

The Imperial Cabinet

This structure, based on a design by Giacomo Quarenghi, was added to the Anichkov Palace in 1803-05. The ground floor was subsequently occupied by shops.

Style: Neoclassical

Address: Fontanka Embankment, 33
Nearest metro stations: Gostinyi dvor, Ploschad Vosstaniya
Location: 
map

Bezborodko's dacha

Originally raised in the 1770s as the summer house of Prince Alexander A. Bezborodko, the mansion was reconstructed in 1783-84 under supervision of Giacomo Quarenghi. Upon Bezborodko's death it passed to Count Grigoriy Kushelev-Bezborodko - man of letters and patron of art. A tuberculosis hospital has been allocated here after the revolution.

Address: Sverdlovskaya Embankment, 40
Nearest metro stations: Tchernyshevskaya, Novocherkasskaya
Location:
map

New Holland Arch

The arch, built in 1779-87, forms a part of the walls surrounding New Holland isle. 300 years ago the plot was used as a lumber-yard of shipbuilding wood. It is still occupied by the Navy stores, military institutions, and commercial enterprises.

Architects: Savva I. Tchevakinsky, J.-B. Vallin de la Mothe
Style: Early Neo-Classicism

Address: Moika Embankment, 107
Nearest metro station: Sennaya
Location::
map

Merchant Court

Gostinyi dvor, or the Merchant Court, is another work by Jean-Baptiste Vallin de la Mothe. It was built in 1761-85. The complex houses a large supermarket, several coffee bars, and a metro station.

Style: Early Neo-Classicism

Address: Nevskiy Avenue, 35
Metro station: Gostinyi dvor
Location:
map

St.Petersburg State University

The university is housed in three Petrine baroque buildings:
1) Twelve Collegia building (1722-44), designed by Domenico Trezzini for various government bodies;
2) the palace of Peter II (1710-14, 1759-61), also by Domenico Trezzini;
3) the dean house (1794, 1840-42), by A.F.Schedrin.

Website: http://www.spbgu.ru
Address: Universitetskaya Embankment, 7, 9, 11
Nearest metro station: Vasileostrovskaya
Location:
map


Catherine Institute

The edifice, constructed in 1804-07 to a design by Giacomo Quarenghi, used to house an elite educational facility for women. Nowadays it is occupied by the musical and press departments of the Russian National Library (formerly known as the State Public Library).

Style: Neoclassical

Website: http://www.nlr.ru
Address: Fontanka Embankment, 36
Nearest metro stations: Gostinyi dvor, Ploschad Vosstaniya
Location:
map


Horse Guards Riding School

Manezh (or the riding hall) was built in 1804-07 for a regiment of imperial horse guards. Some exhibitions and shows were held there shortly before the revolution. The building, for many years used as a garage, was finally designated the Central Exhibition Hall in 1977.

Architect: Giacomo Quarenghi
Style: Neoclassical

Website: http://www.manege.spb.ru
Address: Konnogvardeisky Boulevard, 2
Nearest metro stations: Sennaya, Gostinyi dvor
Location:
map

Assignation Bank

The mansion, dating back to 1783-90, is currently occupied by the St.Petersburg State University of Economics and Finances.

Architect: Giacomo Quarenghi
Style: Neoclassical

Address: Sadovaya St., 21
Nearest metro stations: Sennaya, Gostinyi dvor
Location:  
map

Circular Market

The market building, also by Giacomo Quarenghi, was raised in 1785-90

Style: Neoclassical

Address: Moika Embankment, 3
Nearest metro station: Gostinyi dvor
Location:
map


--

 

 

ENLiGHT Project. Новости об информационных технологиях, науке, авиации и космонавтике

Share this page via:
Опубликовать ссылку на эту страницу в Facebook Опубликовать ссылку на эту страницу ВКонтакте Записать в LiveJournal