A few snapshots from two different but close places -
Yusupov Garden in Sadovaya street and the corner of Sadovaya street and
The railway transport museum at Sadovaya st, 50.
Was opened for visitors in 1862 (first exhibits
appeared there in 1813). The museum functiones by the Institute of
Now it accommodates about 6,000 exponats.
The building was designed by P.S. Kupinsky and was
constructed in 1902 for administration and storehouse of "Society of
Rescue on Waters". It was expanded in 1910 according to E.E. Baumgarten
There is another remarkable building in
the garden - Yusupov Palace.
It is not the well-known palace where
Rasputin had been killed. (That one is situated on Moika river and we'll
soon visit it).
As to this palace, it was built in 1709-s according to D. Kwarengi
project in place of the wooden house situated on the bank of Fontanka
The palace belonged to Senator Yusupov, but in 1810 was sold to the
State Treasury and given to Communications Engineers.
F.F.Vigel writes in his memoirs:
""To prevent the future deficit of engineers it was decided to found
the Institute of Communications Engineering. For this purpose
practically for nothing (300,000 roubles) was bought a magnificent
house, or rather, a palace on Fontanka river, near the Obuhov bridge.
The owner, Prince Yusupov, had made it first-rate, imitating the hotels
in Sen-Jermen district, between the garden and the yard..."
Soviet times the palace hosted the Electronic Computers Department
(Institute of Railroad Communications). As they say, the computer "Ural"
occupied the whole big dancing room :.
The Head of the Department was A.A. Eiler - the descendant of the famous
In 19-20 centuries the frozen ponds have seen a lot of well-known
skaters - the garden is considered as a cradle of figure skating in
We have already seen this place in
previous albums - to the left is Krukov canal, to the right - Griboedov
canal. Behind us is Sadovaya street. In front - Nikolsky Naval Cathedral
built by Tchevakinsky. On the left picture is the belltower.
A view of Griboedov canal.
To the left - a building of Soviet times.
Most likeky built in 1960-s, though it
reminds me the architecture of 1930-s (except the glass first floor).
Estonian (Saint-Isidorovskaya) church.
It's called Estonian, because it belonged to estonian orthodox
architect - A.A. Poleshuk.
Behind, on the corner of Krukov canal and
Sadovaya street we can see the Nikolsky market.
It was built in 1788-89.
Now it's more
or less restored, at least outside.
The Krukov canal perspective.
"Adjacent bridge". Behind it is Fontanka
river and the buildings of the mental hospital.