Wandering Camera

Album 302
(Translated b
y Michael Chereisky)

 

A free access to the upper floor gallery of the Gostinny Dvor shopping arcades was opened about a year ago.
In this album well look at whatever may be seen from the gallery.
 

 

Our photo session was limited by 15 minutes after which a security guard appeared to inform that all photographing and video filming from the gallery were prohibited by the Gostinny Dvor management.

However a few shots have already been made.

Lets begin with the Vorontsov Palace that faces Sadovaya St.

Its restoration, completed half a year ago, included chopping down the trees which had obstructed the palaces view from the street.

The grille was also renovated.

The Vorontsov Palace was built in 1749 - 1757 by Bartolomeo Francesco Rastrelli for Count Michael Vorontsov, chancellor of the Russian Empire at the end of the Elisabeth Petrovnas reign.

Later the palace belonged to the Maltese Order.

At that time, the whole area behind the park up to Fontanka river was a large regular park with fountains.

In 1810 1918 the palace housed the Corps of Pages, a privileged military school. In spite of its aristocratic character, the Corps yielded such revolutionaries as the Decembrists P. Pestel, V. Ivashev and P. Svistunov, as well as the father of Anarchism Prince P. Kropotkin.

After the Bolshevik revolution in 1917, the building was allotted to the Red Armys 1st Petrograd Infantry Command School.
 

In 1937, the school was renamed the S.M. Kirov Infantry School.

From 1955 and till the present day, the palace has housed the Suvorov Military Academy, and its cadets may be constantly seen marching or running in the palaces yard.

 
 
This house (26, Sadovaya St.) seems to be a separate building, but is listed as a part of the Vorontsov Palace.
Krylov Lane links Sadovaya St. (between Nos. 22 and 24) and Ostrovsky square around the Alexandriinsky theater (partly seen at the lanes distant end).

No. 22 (left), built by A. Roben in 1847 and rebuilt by G. Gavrilov in 1910-1911, used to belong to A. Korovin and K. Gavrilov and to house a restaurant of the First S. Petersburg Society of Waiters. In more recent times it contained a popular confectionery.

 
Weve arrived to the intersection between Sadovaya and Nevsky Ave.

Apparently the Christmas preparations are already under progress.

The corner building is the Russian National Public Library, built in 1796 1801 by E. Sokolov.

Another librarys wing, built by Carlo Rossi, faces Ostrovsky square.

 
Ahead along the gallery, over Nevsky Ave.
 
No. 48 is the Passage department store.

It was originally built in 1846 1848 by R.Zhelyazevich who modeled it after the Golitsin Gallery in Moscow.

In 1899 1900 engineer S. Kozlov raised the building up to four stores and changed the facades.
 

New street lamps at Nevsky.
By the way, before the current buildings were erected, the plots had belonged to prominent architects Michael Zemtsov and Bartolomeo Francesco Rastrelli (No. 46 at the center, No. 48 at the right).
No. 46, formerly the Moscow Merchant bank (built in 1901-1902 by L. Benois).
No. 44, the Small Passage, built in 1909 1910 by B. Girshovich for the Rossiya Insurance Co.

At the right below: the Sever confectionery shop famous for its delicious pastries.

No. 40 is one of the two buildings erected simultaneously with the Armenian Church.
The Armenian Church and the mentioned houses, which have been repeatedly shown in the previous albums.

The left one (No. 40) is the St. Petersburg municipal Committee for Culture.


Please note that Ive completed uploading my North Korea albums, accompanied with an article by Alexey Novikovsky, the second member of our enormous :) tourist group.

 

 

ENLiGHT Project.    , ,

Share this page via:
      Facebook        LiveJournal